Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stars in their Eyes

Another week of the holidays is flying by. On Monday I discovered that Scrapping Patch were having a "Stars in their Eyes" Competition so decided to join in in the nick of time for Week One - Scrap lifting the style of Steph Devlin, one of my favourite scrap bookers. The gallery went up this morning and there are some fantastic Steph Devlin Styles. Here is my take - perhaps the layout is a little too full but I am not so good at 'white space'. Steph calls the mix of old and new elements "Boutique Scrapbooking" and uses lots of cut out flowers, dimensional flowers, different fabrics and textures, chipboard etc.
Steph often used transparencies on her layouts and here I framed the larger 5 x 7 photo with a 6 x 4 transparency to frame the important part of the photo. She also often includes birds and punched pp together with lots of flowers.
I used recycled greeting cards to cut out the flower and bird shapes and an old 1963 magazine to cut out the little girls. A bling brooch found a couple of years ago at a market in Winton, Southland finally finds a home as does the lovely little flower motif my mother crocheted and had attached to my birthday present last year. The vintage lace is also from Mum's collection. To extend the mulberry paper flower I edged it with tulle which also adds dimension and softness.

The challenge for Week Two is Ingvild Bolme from Norway. I have admired her scrapping for a long time. I hope I get time to give it a go before next Tuesday as I am off to SENZ in Christchurch this Friday and Saturday.

Last weekend I had a go at Scrapbook Outlet's Friday Sketch Challenge as follows:

It was another opportunity to put the new Cuttlebug heart shapes to use and also bring out some large acetate letters from early scrapping days to use as a template for the title. ... and also the Martha Stewart around the page 'loop' punch which I hadn't used before.

Enjoy the rest of the week / holidays.
Thanks for looking.
Dianne

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

go you and where are you finding the time to do these projects. I will see you at senz. looking forward to it. Cannot wait for my classes. I will see you there.